Pokémon Go is Here
July 27, 2016
Playing Pokémon Go?
Visit Deer Lake Park and discover the PokéStops in the park and scattered around the Museum, battle at the gyms and do your best to catch ‘em all!
We are open daily Tuesday – Sunday (and stat holidays) from 11am – 4:30pm until September 5 and admission is free.
Deer Lake Brook
Pause on the bridge over Deer Lake Brook as you enter the Village to enjoy this ecologically significant stream that runs through the village site.
Various habitat enhancements over the years have improved this waterway to the point that salmon returned to this watercourse and upstream to Deer Lake and Buckingham Creek to spawn in the fall of 2012 for the first time in recent memory.
Waterways within and around Burnaby have played important roles in the development of Burnaby.
Burnaby Lake General Store
Burnaby Lake General Store is a replica 1920s General Store based on the original Burnaby Lake General Store originally located at Douglas Road and Sperling Avenue (this portion of Douglas Road is now Canada Way).
The General Store of the 1920s would have been core to the community as a place to shop and catch up of the news of the area.
Originally constructed in 1911 as part of the BC Electric Railway Company's Burnaby Lake Interurban Line, Vorce Station was closed in 1953 when the interurban line (now the site of the Trans-Canada Hwy) was closed.
It was relocated from the foot of Nursery Street to the 'Lubbock Farm' at Canada Way and Haszard Street where it was used as a granary shed and in 1977 was identified for preservation and relocated to the Burnaby Village Museum.
Vorce Station is the last-known rural interurban station in British Columbia.
Guests entering the Village at the West Gate are first in line to ride the 1912 CW Parker Carousel.
The Carousel was built in 1912 in Leavenworth, Kansas by Charles Wallace Parker who owned the C. W. Parker Company, and was the 119th one made.
After a lifetime of touring and providing rides to gleeful visitors from 1913 to 1989 it was announced that the carousel would be sold off horse by horse at auction.
Local residents came together to save the carousel and formed the "Friends of the Vancouver Carousel Society". It was at this time that the carousel was nicknamed the Parker #119. Over the next 4 years they raised money to restore the Carousel.
The carousel was moved to the Burnaby Village Museum and in 1993 the Carousel once again welcomed young (and young and heart) riders and continues to run today.