Burnaby Historical Society
The Burnaby Historical Society (BHS) was formed in 1957, under the name “British Columbia Historical Association, Burnaby Branch”. The BHS has been a major force in preserving Burnaby's historical data and in promoting the conservation of Burnaby's heritage. The society was integral in obtaining the B.C. Electric Interurban tram #1223 for the Village and initiating the move of the Jessie Love Farmhouse to the museum site. The society amalgamated its archival holdings with the City of Burnaby Archives in 2007 to bring Burnaby's historical documents under one organization. The Burnaby Historical Society has administrative and storage space provided by the Burnaby Village Museum.
The society meet on the second Wednesday of each month (except June, July, August and December) at the Carousel Pavilion of the museum. Various speakers are featured at each meeting and guests are welcome.
For membership information or to contact the Burnaby Historical Society executive, call the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel at (604) 297-4565.
Established in 1976, the Canadiana Costume Society is a group of dedicated individuals with a common love for historical costume. The goal of the society is to both preserve and make accessible British Columbia's costume heritage through the collection, conservation, research, display and interpretation of dress for the purposes of education and enjoyment.
The Canadiana Costume Society often partners with the Museum to display clothing and textiles in an historical context.
In 1987, the wooden 1912 CW Parker Carousel that had operated at the PNE grounds for 53 years was scheduled to be auctioned off to collectors, horse by horse. A group of people interested in saving this carousel was formed, eventually becoming known as the Friends of the Carousel. Their fundraising efforts paid off. They purchased the old carousel and sold it to the City of Burnaby for $1, on the condition that the City build a pavilion to house it on the Burnaby Village Museum site. The Friends spent approximately 30,000 hours restoring this beautiful artefact. Each horse has been carefully hand-painted and the mechanics of the machine itself are cared for and kept up to current safety standards.
The Carousel reopened in its new venue in 1993. It continues to bring pleasure to thousands of children and adults each year. The Friends continue to provide funding for the Carousel's maintenance, and its members have been active in promoting it and its history during Museum events. For more information please see Carousel.Go to Top