The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act) promotes the general principles that public body information should be available to the public and personal information respecting individuals held by government should not be improperly disclosed.
The Act established a process by which an individual may request access to records held by the City of Burnaby. A "record" by definition in the Act includes "books, documents, maps, drawings, photographs, letters, vouchers, papers, and any other thing on which information is recorded or stored by graphic, electronic, mechanical or other means, but does not include a computer program or any other mechanism that produces records". The Act also provides an appeal procedure involving an independent Information and Privacy Commissioner.
The general right of access to records is restricted by certain specified and limited exceptions. For example, an applicant will not get access to someone else's personal information or information which would harm third party business interests.
Methods to Access Records
The majority of information held by the City of Burnaby can be accessed through the normal release of information by front line staff, without using the Act. Examples of this include: answers to questions related to departmental operations, agendas, minutes, bylaws, property related information, publications, policies and procedures.
A formal request for information is a formal process to access records that are not routinely available. Unlike routine requests, the formal request must be made in writing. The request should provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating/retrieving the records.
Formal requests for records should be forwarded by mail to:
Records and Information Manager
Office of the City Clerk, City of Burnaby
4949 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 1M2
You should enclose a completed Freedom of Information Request Form.
To determine if a formal request is required, consult with the departmental staff directly or contact the Records and Information Manager.
Section 75 of the Act provides that the City may charge a fee for certain limited costs of providing applicants with records. If there are costs involved in processing a formal request, the applicant will be provided with a fee estimate before the application is fully processed.
Material on the City of Burnaby web-site is intended for research purposes and private use only. Any re-use, transmission, duplication or distribution without the express written permission of the City of Burnaby is not allowed. Written requests will be evaluated by the City using the Web-site content use policy (see below).
The City web-site is not an official statement of City policy, bylaws, practice, procedure or services, and may not be used as such. It is intended only to give general information about the City.
While reasonable efforts are made to post only accurate information, the City cannot and does not guarantee that the information posted is current or correct. The City does not warrant or make any representations as to the quality, content, accuracy or completeness of the information, text, maps, graphics, links and other items contained on its web page.
The City's web-site may contain links to other Internet sites. Such external Internet sites contain information created, published, maintained, or otherwise posted by institutions or organizations independent of the City. The City does not endorse, approve, certify or control external Internet sites and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness efficiency, timeliness or correctness of the information located at the sites. Reference to any specific commercial product, process or service by trade name, trademark, service mark, manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation or favouring by the City.
Communications made through this site's email and messaging system are for convenience only and shall not be deemed to constitute legal notice to the City or any of its officers, agents, agencies, employees or representatives with respect to any existing or potential claim or cause of actions or for any other purpose.
All comments, suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, or other information disclosed or offered to the City by this site, or in response to solicitations from this site (collectively, the "Comments") shall remain the property of the City. None of the Comments shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the part of the City and the City shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of the Comments. Without limitation of the foregoing, the City shall exclusively own all now known or hereafter existing rights to the Comments of every kind and nature throughout the world and shall be entitled to unrestricted use of the Comments for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to the provider of the Comments.
Web-site Content Use Policy
The City is committed to ensuring that the Burnaby Village Museum website is content rich, and provides useful, quality content. The City shall:
- Make reasonable efforts to keep material on the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel web-site current, but can give no assurances in that regard.
- Post this policy on the city common network drive so that it is accessible to all employees.
- Provide a link to this policy from the footer which appears on all pages of the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel web-site to an electronic copy of this policy so it is accessible from every page of the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel web-site.
The material posted to the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel web-site is placed in the public domain as a community information service for use by residents, students, tourists and businesses.
Conditions of Use
The use of photos, graphics, and text appearing on the Burnaby web-site is subject to the following conditions:
- May be used by others on their own web-sites if:
- It would bring positive attention to Burnaby and enhance awareness of the City's social, environmental or economic objectives.
- Promote Burnaby as a destination of choice for working, living or playing.
- Have potential value to the community as a whole.
- Shall only appear in areas of the other web-site which relate directly to the City of Burnaby and shall not be used in generic banners, advertising or other non-Burnaby related sections of the web-site.
- Shall reference the source of the photo or graphic by including the following statement, "Photo(s) (and/or graphic(s)) used with the permission of the City of Burnaby".
- Shall not be altered or edited in any way other than resizing of the whole image (i.e. cropping, stretching, or other forms of digital or manual manipulation are not permitted).
- Shall not use the Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel, City of Burnaby logo or coat of arms without written permission from the City of Burnaby.