Burnaby Village Museum celebrates 50th anniversary
April 25, 2022
This May marks 50 years since the Burnaby Village Museum opened to the public for its first full year in 1972. We will celebrate the momentous occasion with new exhibits, entertainment and activities. We’re also excited to reopen for the summer season from May 7 to September 5, offering visitors an immersive experience of the 1920s village comprising heritage and recreated buildings.
The thrilling new additions include:
- We are 50: Explore the Unexpected – This new exhibit will showcase objects rarely seen by the public before.
- Kids Conservation Lab – Go behind-the-scenes and learn what it takes to be a museum conservator in this interactive exhibit.
- Anniversary arches – Life-sized arch installations will showcase the museum’s evolving role in the community through the eyes of local artists. To be unveiled late May 2022.
- Scavenger hunt & giveaways – Pickup your scavenger hunt at the gates and explore conservation projects of all sizes throughout the museum. Special 50th-anniversary giveaways available at both gates for opening weekend (May 7 and 8).
- View through time – Discover the history of the museum’s buildings through photographs and anniversary banners.
- Explore the carousel gallery and discover the history behind this 100+ year old treasure of the fairgrounds.
- Museum memory book craft – Design your own keepsake memory book of your visit to the museum.
- Community day – Join us on May 23 for our big anniversary celebration with live music, activities and speeches beginning at 2 pm.
- Walking tours – Beginning May 24, you can register and participate in a guided walking tour of the museum. Tours will take place every Tuesday and Saturday at 2 pm.
"For 50 years, the museum has offered the community a chance to experience and learn about the history of Burnaby, and I'm pleased that the museum continues to provide this important service to everyone," said Mayor Mike Hurley. "I congratulate all the staff, volunteers and the community on this milestone and thank them for helping us preserve and celebrate our past."
"We're very excited about our anniversary celebrations and hope that Burnaby residents and visitors from all over will celebrate with us," said Deborah Tuyttens, the museum's Cultural Heritage Manager. "It's a great time to look back at the village's history, but it's also a great time to look forward," she said.
The museum has also created a coffee table book titled, Our Stories at 50: Fifty Years at the Burnaby Village Museum to mark this special occasion. Enjoy learning more about the museum in this beautiful anniversary book, available for purchase at the carousel gift shop for $39.99.
Burnaby Village Museum Summer Season
May 7 to September 5
11 am – 4:30 pm, Tuesday to Sunday, including statutory holidays
Admission is free
Carousel rides $2.65
Learn more: Summer Season
Manager, Public Affairs
Public Affairs Office
604-570-3616 | Chris.Bryan@burnaby.ca