Throughout the 1980s, the Village continued to grow. The Municipality of Burnaby and CPMA worked together on plans to acquire more land to expand administration and exhibit spaces. By the end of the decade the museum’s size had doubled, and a bridge was being built across Deer Lake Brook to accommodate a new entrance and development of a rural zone.
The Love family farmhouse being prepared to move from 7651 Cumberland Street to the site of the Burnaby Village Museum in 1988, BV018.41.126.
By 1981, the CPMA hoped to see the Heritage Village expand east to Dale Avenue to create a rural zone, and south across Deer Lake Avenue to create a “1925 and beyond” display area. The idea was captured in a Master Plan, created in 1982.
- Seaforth School was moved to the Heritage Village in 1983.
- In 1984, the Museum’s name was changed from “Heritage Village” to “Burnaby Village Museum” to reflect its role as Burnaby’s community museum.
- Iredale Partnership was hired in 1985 to create an expansion concept for Burnaby’s Municipal Council to consider. The plan was completed in 1986, and accepted by Council in 1987. At that time, the site was expanded to approximately 9 acres, with new lands across Deer Lake Brook made available to create a new entrance facility and administration building.
- In 1987 the Seaforth School display was opened at the Village, with the restored 1922 school open to the public.
- In 1988, the 1893 Jesse and Martha Love farmhouse was acquired and moved to the Museum, to be part of the “rural zone” display established in the newly acquired museum space across Deer Lake Brook.
- In 1989, the BCSME decided to move its miniature railway to Confederation Park. That same year, the PNE’s historic carousel was decommissioned. The Friends of the Carousel were formed to raise the money to purchase and restore the 1912 carousel. Burnaby promised to provide a building for the carousel at the Burnaby Village Museum.